Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Great Post

Accoustic Motorbike has a great post titled, "Yes I Am Sexist" about the unfair reality of being a woman in Zimbabwe. It's sad but true, the amount of oogling, cackling, whistling, staring, shameless overtures, that meet any woman that isn't carrying a baby on her back is downright disgusting.

If you know any Zimbabwean men or any men encourage them to read it. If we want progress anywhere in the world, we must fight just as hard to end the kind of oppression expressed in the post just as hard as we fight the wors dictators. Here's an excerpt:
I hate that I don’t feel safe on my own at night in my own neighbourhood. I hate that I don’t enjoy going to one of my favourite local restaurants, a few blocks from my flat, on my own—the sea of testosterone that awaits inside those doors is too much to navigate alone.

And, of course, it’s not just about sex. It’s about men’s attitudes towards women. Maybe the message that a woman is not for beating already resonates with many men. But gender based violence is about much more than beatings. It’s about much more than rape or sexual assault. Surely it also includes the safety with which women move around in their own homes, their own streets, shops and neighbourhoods. Women are not for beating. They are also not for raping, heckling, objectifying or harassing. What messages do men grow up with then about what women are for. What do men think men are for? What do women think women or men are there for? Society has changed dramatically in the past 100 years. It is no longer acceptable to judge or stereotype someone on the basis of their race. Somehow gender differences feel like a harder thing to crack.
(More...)

Technorati Tags: , , , ,
  • << Home