Monday, May 01, 2006

Cross Posted over at Global Voices

I do a bi-monthly blog roundup from Zimbabwe and Great Lakes region over at Global Voices Online. Here's the latest edition. Excerpt:

Zimbabwe: As Nepal celebrated their revolution's success, envious Zimbabwean observers still trapped on the outside of democratic success couldn't hide their aspirations for the same in Zimbabwe. Nepal's revolution got Zimpundit dreaming,
"As I sit here looking at my computer screen I’m dreaming of Nepal. I so badly want the reality they are experiencing to be mine . I want to be able cower my despot into democracy too!"
Said Eddie Cross,
"Just been watching the celebrations in Nepal following the King’s decision to give in to popular demands that he restore the democratic structures in that country. It is very moving to see this massive commitment by simple, ordinary people in a very poor country demanding that they no longer be treated as feudal slaves to a totalitarian regime but be granted the democratic right to choose their own government."
Eddie is convinced Zimbabwe is showing signs that she is readying for a revolution of her own

Manulite has a harrowing post about his friend Simon who is,
Much shorter than me, which of course is explained by the fact that he's much much younger than me. We both live in Zimbabwe so that gives us a lot in common. But Simon practically survives on the streets. Though he doesn't necessarily sleep on the street at night, his life is a life lived on the pavements of Harare's central business district.
He concludes,
I wonder if Simon can grow up to be a doctor, or a computer geek, with all the iPods, mp3 players, blackberry enabled cellphones and all that stuff? Will he even know such things exist? Will it be his fault when he ends up a thug or in prison? How many children out there are in a situation like Simon's? Surely someone's to blame... who?


(more...)

Technorati Tags: , , , , ,
  • << Home